A Year On…

So a year has now actually passed.  I left my home in Glasgow, with all my family to come to Vancouver, a year ago today.  Frankly, I find I’m surprised that I’m still here.  I honestly never thought I’d last this long…

Hence why I never thought I’d be here sat in my own apartment, watching old episodes of ‘The O.C.’ whilst writing this blog about this.

I don’t even know where to start.  You’re all thinking, ‘the beginning dumbass’.  Well I don’t really know where the start to this saga is.  Canada has always held a special place in my heart, even before I first came out here in 2002.  I don’t know why, but I’ve always been drawn to it, like a moth to a flame.  I guess part of me wanted to try living here to see what it was like.  I have to say for the most part it has been amazing.  I’ve done so many things since being here that I doubt I’d ever done at home.  But I guess I can’t say that for sure, because who knows in this life.  I don’t want to get too bogged in what ifs but here I am now.

So yeah, a year ago I upped and left my family to come here.  It wasn’t an easy decision by any stretch of the imagination.  I’d gone through a break up, which was not the easiest thing.  My father had only just got out of hospital the week before after being in for 2 months, My nephews 1st birthday was coming up and I knew I’d be missing it.  Those are just a few things so you can understand my emotional state at the time.  Part of me wanted to be there and deal with everything, the other just wanted me to get away from it all and forget.  Thinking back on it now I still don’t know how I got through all of that, but here I am.

When the day came I left and flew to London as I was connecting through there to get to Vancouver.  That day so many thoughts went through my head.  I got calls from all my friends, wishing me a safe trip etc.  I also spoke to someone for the first time and it meant for a long turbulent friendship ha.  I also met a friend for the first time that day before I flew out.  Yes I was an emotional mess ha!

The flight went off without a hitch, but yeah it was mental torture!  When I landed I had to get through customs and immigration.  I was surrounded by people looking to do the same thing.  We all had to get our work permits.  I stood in the queue for over 3 hours to get my visa.  I had all my documents ready, insurance, money etc. but once I got to the officer, she looked at nothing.  Simply asked a few questions and issued my permit.  Her only parting comment was to remind me that I could not work in the ‘sex industry’, ha!  That comment made me laugh and I will never forget it.  I have to say I did feel for my friends, Kristy and Steph, they’d been waiting outside in arrivals for me all this time.  These guys are true friends, and they’ve been there for me a lot over the past year.

With all that said Kristy’s parents put me up in their house for 6 months.  They cooked dinner for me, helped me get a job and even let me drive around in their cars.  Didn’t even ask for a penny from me.  Had it not been for them then I would not have been able to get to where I am today.  I owe these people a lot.  I am so grateful to them and I always will be.  I refer to them as my ‘Canadian Mum and Dad’, and that’s what they’ve been like to me. I could never ask for better.

This story could go on for a long while yet, but I’m getting sleepy as it’s late here.  I’ll probably do this over a few parts and add to it as I go.  For now I hope you enjoyed the story so far….